Monday 25 May 2009

First morning in Sorrento


So, the first thing to say is that the mobile broadband modem is struggling to find a signal. I'm online after 20 minutes of trying. Hopefully I'll be able to get a better connection when we're out and about.


We first stayed at the Villa Igea last year and it's a lovely hotel, occupying a commanding position overlooking the bay of Naples. We have some glorious views and I'll take a photo later to show you all. The picture accompanying this post is from yesterday in St Peter's Basilica. I skimmed through the photos Caroline took at the Vatican and they are fantastic. I'll aim to get a few of them online too, so you can see what we did. Incidentally, I'll put the hundreds of photos the students are taking onto the school system when we get back so you can view them all. The lack of a very high speed web connection makes it impractical to do so now.


The good news this morning, as we get ready to spend the day at Pompeii, is that the temperature has dropped. It's still hot, but the hideous humidity we encountered in Rome has vanished.


Anyway, I can hear the sound of small feet outside and the boys on the balcony next to mine are anxious to eat breakfast. I'd best be off.


With kind regards,


Mr vS



2 comments:

  1. It's terrific to hear how the trip is going. Thanks very much for making the effort to report each day - we're really appreciating it. We're also very jealous. We hope the rest of the trip is as good - and we're looking forward to seeing Caroline's photos as and when. It was lovely to see her on the ones posted so far.
    Frances Maggs (Caroline's Mum!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frances,

    Caroline is having a great time. She beat me at a variety of games on the coach back from Herculaneum today, including 'First One to Laugh', 'Don't Blink!' and the 'Don't say Yes or No' game. I was rubbish at all of them!

    I've posted the details now for Herculaneum and Vesuvius - mainly boys in today's pictures, to balance things out.

    Thanks for the kind words of encouragement - much appreciated as the witching hour arrives!

    With kind regards,

    Sacha

    ReplyDelete